Monday, February 04, 2008

40 Days of Community

We're off on another 40 Days Campaign - of course we've only done one other but it was awesome! In 2004 we did a 40 Days of Purpose Campaign and it rocketed our small groups off the deep end. I think we had 5 groups prior to that time and ended up with 30. God has blessed us from there.

You hear me talk a lot about small groups and I know some of you wonder - "How do I fit it all in?" "He expects me to come to worship, find a place to serve AND go to a small group!" Well....yes....but only if you want to grow in Christ!

Don't get me wrong, spiritual growth isn't all about DOING. It's about BEING - being a Christian - being like Jesus - but I've not found another way that works like small groups. And what we're discovering around Cornerstone is that in small groups you can find a place to serve together and many groups sit together at Sunday Worship. Some groups take on a specific ministry at Cornerstone and serve together. Others find a ministry outside of Cornerstone and serve there together.

Yesterday we talked about why we need each other. A couple of independent type people wrote me notes or came up to me and said - "You say I need other people to walk with me but they walk so slow!" One said: "You say we need people to work with us but that means I've got to explain how to do it and make sure they do it right!" We laughed! They got it. I got it.

I received a note today.

I’ve been very guilty of the “my problems are nothing compared to others” syndrome. After a recent difficult time in my life I hated depending on others for what little transportation I have needed. I’ve turned down meals and offers of assistance from several people because I didn’t want to become their “burden”. I sat teary eyed as I listened to you tell me it’s okay to accept the generosity of others and what a true gift it is to receive such offers. My “I can do it myself” attitude has caused me much frustration and now I see how silly it is to behave in such a way. I’m usually the one on the other end…offering help…not needing it. Yesterday I learned that it’s okay to say YES…and not feel guilty about it. And you’re right…the folks at Cornerstone have been awesome…offering their assistance, transportation and many prayers.

Way to go Cornerstone! It's not unlike the old hymn: "O what peace we often forfeit. O what needless pain we bear, All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer." When we refuse to share people cannot care and we all miss the full benefit of the family of God - the caring and the receiving. We all need to be cared for, that's one of the benefits of the Body of Christ. It's good to be in a place that understands that and is trying to live it out.

No comments: