Thursday, January 10, 2008

Mission & Vision

At Cornerstone we are approaching our 15th Anniversary. A lot has happened in that time. We've seen both valleys and mountaintops. We weathered storms and celebrated victories. All along we've sought to remain faithful to our vision - Building Lives with Christ as the Cornerstone.

Pastor Andy Stanley has made popular the phrase, "vision leaks." I couldn't agree more. Vision gets lost in just a few days. It is drained out of our lives by the daily grind of life. It is sucked out of us by fatigue and frustration. It is pulled out of us by the Enemy. All around us vision is in a battle for life. And in the absence of the reminder of the vision, in a vision vacuum, people fill in the blanks the best they can...then comes confusion and frustration. I wonder if that's what's happened with the questions I've been getting about vision. Regrettably I was distracted and unavailable for much of 2007 with my dad's illness and death. No one at Cornerstone, nor myself, regrets the decisions we made to spend the time the way I did but it didn't leave time to refill the vision buckets that have holes.

I know that I have failed to realize how quickly vision leaks. I have not communicated as often nor as clearly as I need to about Cornerstone's vision.

The vision of Cornerstone has never changed from the first day - Building Lives w Christ as the Cornerstone. Everything we do has to do with that vision. In fact I've considered what one word would describe this vision - it's "transformation." When a life is built where Christ is the Cornerstone it is a transformed life.

Some might say our vision is missions. No. Missions is a tool, a vehicle to transform lives. After last week's message on how to grow spiritually in 2008 and talking about one of my personal ministry goals of helping as many as possible learn how to study the Bible on their own, someone might say our vision is Bible Study. No. It's a tool, a vehicle to transform lives. We're in the midst of a building campaign and some might say our vision is money or buildings. No. Those are tools, vehicles for transforming lives. We say a lot about small groups and emphasize we'd like everything to be in one. Some might say our vision is small groups. No. They are just a vehicle, a tool for transforming lives. After our 3rd Annual Christmas Offering some might say we're all about money and only international missions. No. It is just a tool for transforming lives - first ours and second the children in Guatemala and Haiti.

An early mentor of mine named John gave me some great advice. Pick something and stick to it. Focus on it. Keep it always in front of ministry. Don't only do that one thing but make one thing the point. He was referring to a ministry vehicle to accomplish the vision. In each church I've led the vision has been different. It's been God's call for that congregation in that specific culture. The one thing chosen has been different too. At Cornerstone it seems to have become missions - locally, nationally and globally. I never dreamed the Christmas Offering would take such a prominent place on the stage of our lives. I had no idea the transformational tool it would become. It was just a tool. Truth be told I would have chosen something else but thank God it wasn't my choice.

Regardless of what we're doing, we're about transforming lives - the lives of children, teens and adults - the transformation of the whole family. If what we're doing isn't transforming lives then we ought to stop it.

I am thrilled that it is 2008 and I have the privilege of serving at Cornerstone with you. You are the greatest congregation I have ever been associated with. That doesn't mean we do everything with excellence. That doesn't mean we don't have lots of ways to grow. It does mean that we have the right vision and God has gathered great leaders to the congregation and the staff. It is truly an honor and a privilege to be here. Thank you for being a part of this great place - great because of what God does. Now I pray I can be the leader this congregation needs. Thanks for your prayers and support.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff,
This is charlie from Kansas, we met in Haiti last spring. this was an excellent heart communication which has both sharpened and challenged me. thanks,
hope to see you again sometime
In His Love,
Charlie
NorthRidge Church

Jeff Raker said...

Thanks, Charlie. Hope all is well with you and NorthRidge Church.